Soderstrom Architects surveyed Deady Hall (built in 1876) several years before funding could be obtained for a two-phase exterior restoration. The presence of both lead paint and mansard shingles containing asbestos complicated the renovation and greatly increased the budget. In order to keep the owner's costs down, Soderstrom helped coordinate separate contracts for scaffolding, lead abatement and asbestos abatement.
The work on Deady Hall served to upgrade the building structurally, modernize the infrastructure and restore the historic integrity of the original design. For instance, the original wood balustrade had been removed from the building over 50 years ago due to disrepair. Soderstrom recreated the balustrade from historic photographs and improved the original design to help prolong its longevity. Seismic improvements were also made to the building during the course of exterior restoration.
2007 © Soderstrom Architects, Ltd. All rights reserved
1200 NW Naito Parkway, Suite 410 Portland, Oregon 97209
503.228.5617| Site Map